- Easy to install, with clear and thorough install docs.
- Installable on Windows with no extra software. Executable is included.
- Easily installable on modern unixes such as Linux, Solaris, OSX, BSD, etc.
- Multiple races available, and more are easily added.
- Multiple classes available, and more are easily added.
- Sophisticated body/limb system, with "severing" being optional.
- Skill based combat and spellcasting, with optional PK.
- Skills that can be improved through use and with special trainers.
- Quest based advancement (optional).
- Multiple modes of travel in different terrain: flying/swimming/etc.
- Persistent rooms whose contents survive reboot (optional).
- Firearms (optional. There are also swords and such, of course).
- Saved inventory when you quit (optional).
- Banking and multiple currencies.
- NPC's that can respond to speech, queries, and commands.
- Special role based NPC's: vendors, barkeeps, bankers, guildmasters, etc.
- Variable descriptions based on time-of-day/lightlevels/race vision, etc.
- Flexible parsing: "give my second torch to the third human" and "gi tor 2 hu 3" work.
- Languages, fishing, stargates, diseases, groups/parties, potions, minimap, and more.
- Many examples of objects, areas, and quests.
- Extremely thorough and very detailed docs, faqs, and helpfiles.
- In-game building through OLC-like commands.
- In-game editing through a built-in text editors, including a fullscreen editor.
- Web-based editing and file management through the built-in web server.
- A workroom and home area/directory for learning and building.
- Virtual room server that allows quick, convenient creation of 1,000's of rooms
- A "builder only" contributor position, separate from "coder".
- Overhead map.
- Character mode to do up-arrow command recall and tab-completion of commands and files.
- Grid/coordinate system that allows for things like noclipping (walking through walls).
- Simple in-game configuration with the commands: mudconfig and admintool.
- Optional internet servers: web, ftp, Intermud-3, IMC2, and others.
- Some basic conversion modules available to simplify migrating from Smaug and CWG.
- Memory/resource throttling for folks on limited computers/hosting.
- A helpful forum and intermud community for tips and guidance ( lpmuds.net ).
- Easy online upgrading to the latest version with the command: liveupgrade.
- In game control of access to privileges and data with group assignments.
- Warmbooting to reload the mud without disconnecting players.
- Moist, delicious cake.
- Extremely robust: tested with hundreds of active player bots simultaneously with no lag.
- Instance support: allows running interacting copies of the mud from the same code.
General neat stuff:
- IMC2 and Intermud-3 connections to chat communities (optional).
- Sophisticated command parsing: "gi 2.bo fi 3" works, as well as "give the second book to the third fighter"
Detailed release notes: http://dead-souls.net/RELEASE_NOTES